Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sorry, Seth

I’m not a very good wife.

I can never remember if Seth’s birthday is March 17 or 19. On Thursday, I excitedly asked him if he knew what that day was.  (I sort of had a gift for him picked out in my head. I hadn’t actually gotten it yet … but at least I could tell him about it.)

He rolled his eyes at me and said, “Ummm, it’s 13 years and two days since our first date.”

“And two days? Really? Oops.”

Seth went out of town (without me) this weekend for the third time in 13+ years. Is it wrong that I was sort of excited? Not that I don’t love him dearly but there is something awesome about not having to answer to anyone for a few days. All Seth has ever asked of me during the span of our relationship is to: a) stop spending money; b) pick up my shit; and c) watch something other than Wisconsin sports on TV.

The first thing I did when he left on Friday night was go to the liquor store, where there was a sale on Spanish wine, so I stocked up. Then I headed to the grocery store where I picked up a pan of Rice Krispie treats, pretzels and onion dip, and an Oprah magazine. Paul checked me out at the register without making eye contact.  I asked him if he had any big plans for the night and he said, “no.”

When I got home, I opened a bottle of wine and left the corkscrew on the table. (Rebel!)  I gathered all my food around me, put the Oprah magazine on my lap and my laptop on top of that and I settled in for the Brewers-Padres game. I know that this is pathetic but it was exactly what I wanted to do with my Friday night.

Friday night’s game was billed as a pitcher’s duel. And it was, for about eleven pitches. Adrian Gonzales crushed Yovani Gallardo’s twelfth pitch of the night for a home run to deep center and, after that, the scoreboard lit up like a pinball machine. San Diego built a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first and a 5-2 lead after two. Gallardo was finally pulled with one out in the fourth after giving up six runs on six hits.

This is the sort of lead the Padres have been able to hang onto all season. San Diego boasts the best record in the NL at 73-47 and had won 9 of 10, including 5 in a row. But not on this night.  Milwaukee rallied for three runs in the third, two in the fourth and single runs in the fifth, six and seventh innings. And Chris Capuano, who came in in relief of Gallardo was unhittable. Capuano faced the minimum giving up just one walk in 3 2/3 innings.

I can’t wait for Saturday. I’m going shopping at Mall of America.

Brewers 10, Padres 6
Game played 8-20-10

No comments:

Post a Comment