Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Road Trippin'

When I was in high school, road tripping consisted of driving through corn fields while drinking Leinies. These days, road trips usually consist of picking up my Mom and driving to Milwaukee for a Brewers game.

On Tuesday, I played a softball double header after work, ran home, threw most of my Brewers clothing into a duffel bag and headed to Wisconsin. When I left St. Paul, the Brewers trailed 6-3. As I passed through River Falls, Carlos Gomez was striking out with Weeks on third and one out. Prince failed to get a big two-out hit and the score remained the same.

I was cruising down the Knapp Hills near Menomonie when Weeks hit his home run (after Counsell walked), shrinking the deficit to one in the seventh inning. I was in Eau Claire when the eighth inning rally happened. I missed the turn to my sister's house when Jonathan Lucroy's soft liner to right fell fair and scored Casey McGehee and Brandon Boggs for a 7-6 lead.

I convinced my Mom that we should watch Ax close out the ninth on TV so we joined my brother-in-law Jamison for that adventure. (We met at my sister's house so we could drive the rest of the way together.) My Mom got anxious after a few runners reached and decided that we needed to be driving for the Brewers to play well so we listened to the final out as we headed out of Eau Claire.

It is now 8:55 a.m. on Wednesday and my Mom is anxious to get back in the car to drive the last two hours to Miller Park to complete the first leg of the road trip. I'm hoping for a break out performance by Zack Greinke.

Oh, and don't worry, I am still going to have a Leinies--but it will have to wait until I get to the Stadium.

Brewers 7, Nationals 6
Game played 5-24-11

No comments:

Post a Comment