Friday, October 1, 2010

Brewers take three of four from Mets


About a month and a half ago, I thought we should keep Yovanni Gallardo but otherwise gut the entire starting rotation. I had even come to terms with the idea of trading Prince Fielder and/or Corey Hart to get that pitching. (I know, I was slow to come on board with this whole idea of a Prince trade—it’s not that I didn’t/don’t think we should do it, it’s that I like Prince and have a hard time with change. I had to change my mindset: A winning Brewers team without Prince is better than a losing team with Prince. And he’s almost certainly gone after 2011 anyway …) 

Since that time, it FEELS like the pitching has been better, and the numbers reflect that. (See below for month-by-month breakdown. See also Disciples of Uecker analysis. Jack Moore’s pinky finger knows more about stats than I do. You should read it.)  

April       5.16 ERA; 1.54 WHIP; 33 HR; 206 IP
May       5.53 ERA; 1.71 WHIP; 22 HR; 249 IP
June      3.93 ERA; 1.33 WHIP; 23 HR; 240.1 IP
July        5.22 ERA; 1.45 WHIP; 37 HR; 236 IP
Aug        4.77 ERA; 1.45 WHIP; 37 HR; 243.1 IP
Sept       2.96 ERA; 1.13 WHIP; 17 HR; 237.1 IP

The pitching in September has been much better than during any other time during the season. I don’t think that this should deter Doug Melvin, however, from pursuing pitching with gusto in the off-season but I do hope that it prevents him from signing another pitcher like Doug Davis. Desperation never leads to good results. (Plus, a lot of the pitching has been against September call-ups.)

Chris Narveson capped off a strong September team pitching performance by giving up just one run in 6.2 innings of work on Thursday night. His outing dropped his ERA to 4.99 for the season.  Meanwhile, several Brewers hit individual milestones as the offense cranked out nine runs. The score stood at just 4-2 entering the ninth inning but Corey Hart would get his 100th RBI, Casey McGehee would get his 100th RBI, Ryan Braun would score his 100th run and Prince Fielder would get his 110th walk (to match his club record from 2009)—all in the ninth inning. 

Brewers 9, Mets 2
Game played 9-30-10

No comments:

Post a Comment