Sunday, May 22, 2011

Totally worth the sleep deprivation

After staying up late for all of the West Coast games, I was crabby on Friday--Andy Rooney crabby. I told Seth that he had to leave the house and leave me alone for a few hours. So we ate dinner and then he went to play poker. I opened a bottle of wine and got ready for the Brewers game. I figured I would be in bed by 10:30, 11 at the latest.

I noticed that no one over at Brew Crew Ball was available to do the game recap and, in typical Rachel fashion, I volunteered. I was going to watch the game in real time anyway. I might as well write a short recap and help out Kyle.

After drinking a glass of wine, I felt my crabbiness dissipating. The Brewers took an early lead by playing a little small ball. Rickie Weeks led off the first with a double and was bunted over to second by Corey Hart. He scored when Ryan Braun grounded out to shortstop. As I mentioned in my post after Thursday's game, I have to agree with this strategy. I know that plenty of others think that this is a poor strategy--especially in the first inning--because it may take the team out of a big inning. I disagree. I think it was important for Milwaukee to get on the board early after being shut out on Thursday. Plus, Hart can bunt for a base hit. I don't think that Milwaukee should do it every time that they hit a double to start the inning but I think that they should do it in some situations. (Milwaukee got the lead off hitter on in the first five innings but only scored in the first and the fourth innings.)

It was a close game with Colorado taking 2-1, 3-2 and 4-2 leads. Milwaukee kept fighting back and tied the game on an eighth inning homer by Casey McGehee. I started writing my recap with both a scenario that had the Brewers losing (which I wrote first, as to not jinx the team) and one with them winning. But this game would not end. Seth got home a little after 11 and was surprised to see me awake.

When the Rockies scored in the top of the thirteenth inning, I re-wrote my introductory paragraph for a 5-4 Rockies victory. Yuniesky Betancourt spoiled that paragraph with a towering solo shot. I wrote another intro paragraph with the Brewers losing after Betancourt booted a double play ball and Dexter Fowler followed with a single to drive in the go-ahead run.

I really felt like this was it. THIS was the intro that I would be using for the recap. Hart grounded out. I kept writing. Braun worked the count and was walked. I stopped typing. Paulino threw over to first to chase Braun back. And then he delivered the pitch, Prince turned on it and unleashed what looked like a home run swing. The cameras picked up the balls flight and it was carrying. It cleared the fence and ended up way, way back.

It was one of those moments where you can't quite believe what you are seeing. Hitting a home run is a difficult feat. Hitting a home run in that situation is unbelievable. I had the wherewithal to move the laptop off of my lap before I jumped to my feet and screamed, "YES, YES, YES!"

Game time was 4:35. It ended just before midnight. Who needs sleep?

BCB recap link.

Brewers 7, Rockies 6
Game played 5-20-11

No comments:

Post a Comment