Monday, September 27, 2010

A Miller Park farewell

I don’t recall feeling this sad about a baseball game in a long time. Sure, losing in the playoffs to the Phillies in 2008 was sad but after the way the Brewers came back to take the Wild Card, I don’t remember being really sad—just disappointed that the season ended. Sunday’s 7-1 victory over the Florida Marlins pulled at more than a few of my heartstrings. Though nothing is official just yet, this game could go on record as the final game at Miller Park for Craig Counsell, Chris Capuano, Trevor Hoffman and Prince Fielder. Oh, and Ken Macha. 


Counsell got the start at shortstop and went 2-4, with a double. Capuano pitched six strong innings, giving up just one run before being pulled with a groin strain. Hoffman pitched a scoreless ninth inning in a non-save situation. And Prince, he went 1-3, with two walks. His lone hit was his 32nd home run of the year. After he walked in his final at-bat, he was pulled for a pinch runner, and received a standing ovation from the crowd and hugs from his teammates and coaches. Macha isn’t a very emotional manager but he seems to do these sorts of things up (like last year when he pulled Casey McGehee in the last game so he would be assured of batting .300 for the season).

I wonder if things will be awkward if we end up keeping Prince for all or part of the 2011 season. Sort of like breaking up with a boyfriend/girlfriend and then having him/her come back into the relationship like nothing happened. (Oh, sorry. I didn’t really break up with you, did I? I wouldn’t do that. I love you.”)

In the event we don’t get back together, Prince, Craig, Chris, Trevor, it was nice to spend time with you while you were here. Sometimes you disappointed me, often times you frustrated me, but I never hoped for anything but your success. (Of course, if you end up playing for the Twins or some other team that I hate, I will resent you for the rest of my life.)

(In July, if I had told you Ryan Braun would be the first Brewer to 100 RBI in 2010, would you have believed me? Two, two-run home runs and he’s at 100.)

Brewers 7, Marlins 1
Game played 9-26-10

No comments:

Post a Comment