Saturday, September 25, 2010

Quite a road

I completed P90X this year. For those of you who don’t know, P90X is a 90-day at-home workout program. The X stands for extreme. (That sounds douche-y every time I see it.) My husband and I finished the program just prior to my 15-year college reunion. I roughly followed the eating plan for about 45 of the 90 days but then I decided that I was hungry and started eating everything in sight. My husband looks great, though.

I had knee surgery about four weeks after completing the program. It was my hope that P90X would help make my knee better but it didn’t so I went under the knife on July 1. My self-imposed recovery plan has been to watch the Brewers, drink beer and continue to eat everything in sight. Surprisingly it hasn’t been super successful--none of my clothes fit and my knee isn’t noticeably better. Begrudgingly, I’m trying to get back on the wagon--the P90X wagon. It’s hard to get started again; nearly every fiber of my being wants to stay nestled on the couch with a beer in my hand.

Which is why, what Chris Capuano and, now, Mark Rogers, have done is pretty darn special. As we all know by now, Capuano came back from his second Tommy John surgery this year after missing the entire 2008 and 2009 seasons. Rogers, while in the minor leagues, underwent surgery in 2006 for a torn labrum. He missed the entire 2007 season and had a second surgery to remove scar tissue. He went on to miss the entire 2008 season, too. When he finally was healthy enough to pitch in 2009, he started in Brevard County (A Advanced league). On Friday night, Rogers made his first major league start against the Florida Marlins. That’s quite a road.

Rogers looked every bit like a rookie making his first start when when he loaded the bases by hitting a batter and walking two in the first inning. But he used his 97 MPH fastball to strikeout the side and got out of it with no damage. The next two innings went much more smoothly. In all, Rogers went three innings and gave up no runs on no hits. He walked two and struck out four.

Fellow rookies Jeremy Jeffress (2 innings), Mike McClendon (1.2 innings) and Zach Braddock (.1) came in to give up just one run, while the offense built a 4-1 lead through seven innings. Kam Loe and Trevor Hoffman (Trevor Hoffman!) would close out the eighth and ninth innings and Milwaukee would tack on two more runs for the 6-2 victory. (Hoffman gave up one run in the ninth.) Jeffress would be credited with the win, his first.

Regarding those even-number milestones: Casey McGehee went 3-4 but failed to drive in any runs and remains at 99 RBI. Ryan Braun went 2-4 and collected three RBI. He now has 182 hits and 96 RBI. Corey Hart also has 96 RBI.
 
Brewers 6, Marlins 2
Game played 9-25-10

No comments:

Post a Comment