Sunday, July 25, 2010

Gluttony -- derived from the Latin word gluttire meaning over-consumption of food, drink or intoxicants


When I finally rolled out of bed this morning, I wanted to see the Sports Center highlights. I wanted to see Ryan Braun’s walk-off home run. Whoooo! I had watched the last two innings in a bar in my hometown, Bloomer, Wisconsin. It was great to be around other Brewer fans. Other bar patrons stood up and cheered after Braun’s home run. It was a blast.

“Mom,” I said, “The bottom line said walk-off single. What do you mean walk-off single? I clearly saw the hit. It had to be a home run.”

“It wasn’t a home run,” my Mom said, looking at me suspiciously, “he hit it to the wall and it scored Weeks.”

Wait. Let me think back to last night. Oh man, did I really do a shot of tequila? Why does this happen every time I go home? Bloomer drunk had struck again.

Thinking back, it is possible that I made some poor choices with alcohol.  And it is these choices that led me to incorrectly conclude that the ball went over the wall rather than noticing that it hit the base of the wall. Regardless, the outcome was the same. The Brewers scored in the bottom of the ninth to break a 3-3 tie and take their second game in a row from the Nationals. And I got to celebrate the win with a bunch of other Brewers fans—to whom I may or may not be related. (Gotta love small town Wisconsin!)

Brewers 4, Nationals 3
Game played 7-24-10

The other thing that you have to know about Bloomer is that it is impossible for me to leave without overeating. And I don’t mean just feeling a little uncomfortable. No, I mean eating so much that you feel sort of ill. The kind of full you get when you order a donut as an appetizer for your breakfast. The kind of full you get when you eat a 6-egg omelet with a side of bacon plus oatmeal pancakes and cinnamon swirl French toast. And then decide that you need lunch a few hours later because you’re starting to feel a little less gross. Overdoing and Bloomer go hand in hand for me.

Fortunately on Sunday the Brewers continued to gorge—on home runs. Casey McGehee and Rickie Weeks both homered to lead the Brewers to an 8-3 victory and a sweep of the Washington Nationals. Milwaukee has now hit home runs in 14 consecutive games and 25 total during the streak.

I need a nap and to not eat (or drink) again for a few days. OK, I promise I'll stop AFTER I eat this apple fritter.

Brewers 8, Nationals 3
Game played 7-25-10

No comments:

Post a Comment