Saturday, July 24, 2010

You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball


“You just got lesson number one: don’t think, it can only hurt the ball club.”  --Crash Davis

The longer I’m alive, the more I know that Bull Durham was right about everything.

The Brewers were down 5-1 in Friday night’s ball game entering the fifth inning. To make matters worse, Corey Hart had to leave the game in the third inning after crashing into the right field wall while chasing down a fly ball. Hart had scored the Brewers only run after hitting a triple and scoring on a Ryan Braun sac fly.

Enter replacement Jim Edmonds.

“I didn’t do anything. I didn’t take a swing until I got in the batter’s box. I didn’t run. I didn’t throw. I didn’t do anything. I tried to take it easy today. I was about to get ready to get loose there when Corey got hurt but I didn’t even have a chance to do that but it worked out,” said Edmonds.

Worked out, indeed. Edmonds went 2-3, with 3 RBI, including a 2-run homerun in the seventh inning that put the Brewers on top for good.

After the game, Edmonds said that he had decided to stop thinking about hitting home runs last week. And once he stopped thinking about it, it “just started happening.” Edmonds is now 12 homers shy of 400 for his career.  

Brewers 7, Nationals 5
Game played 7-23-10

Ken Macha on Corey Hart: “He’s day-to-day, as we all are.”  Macha has a sense of humor? Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment