Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mea Culpa

From my blog after the June 19th loss to the Rockies:  “The Brewers need better defense. When you watch other teams like the Rockies or the Angels, you can see that our defense is not as good. I’m talking to you, Rickie Weeks.

This was during the height of Weeks’ defensive troubles. Remember when he couldn’t hold onto a throw from the catcher at second base? Weeks seemed to get to ground balls but then, agonizingly, be unable to pick them cleanly and make the throw to first. Furthermore, on June 19th, Weeks was batting .254, with a .773 OPS (.352 OBP + .421 SLG) and 82 strikeouts. He had 10 home runs at that time. I wondered whether they should move him to the outfield or possibly the bench.

I’m glad to say that I was wrong. Oh, so very wrong. Forgive me, Rickie. I will never lose faith in you again. 

Currently, Weeks is batting .275 with a .964 OPS (.382 OBP + .582 SLG). He’s hit six home runs in his last nine games for a total of 21. Monday night’s shot off of Cincinnati Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo was crushed to deep centerfield and traveled an estimated 447 feet.  More importantly, it tied the game at 2-2.

In a season that has seen Doug Melvin come under fire for some of his off-season acquisitions [Should I even bother to say Doug Davis? You all know I’m thinking it], I want to give him credit for signing veteran outfielder Jim Edmonds. Without Edmonds, Corey Hart may have never taken extra batting practice and had the year he is having. Without Edmonds, we’d have Carlos Gomez as an everyday player. I don’t think any of us are ready for that yet. Oh, and Edmonds can still play a little bit. Despite being hobbled by sore Achilles, he’s been on fire at the plate and made some amazing plays in centerfield. His pinch hit home run in the bottom of the eighth inning on Monday night was the difference in the ball game. Edmonds has collected nine hits and four homeruns in his last 16 ABs.

I’m not afraid to admit it when I am wrong or give credit when credit is due. [Seth, this does not apply to our marriage.] I’ll trade my pride for a win any day.

Brewers 3, Reds 2
Game played July 26, 2010

*Special shout-out to Chris G. Thanks for helping me with the stats. “What player am I thinking about right now?”

No comments:

Post a Comment