Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Casey!


Sometimes games speak for themselves. Tonight’s game needs no fancy introduction. It literally brought me to tears. (Warning: Cliché ahead.) One of the things I love about baseball is that there is always a game tomorrow and tomorrow’s game might be really awesome. It might not be. But the possibility is there. And I always show up because I want the awesomeness; the feeling I get when the Brewers win or do something amazing.

Tonight’s game was amazing. To begin, the Brewers were playing the Cubs. I don’t think that I share the hatred of the Cubs that most Milwaukee fans possess. If you live in the Milwaukee area, you probably get sick of seeing thousands of Cubs fans at Miller Park with snarky signs labeling Miller Park as Wrigley Park North or the smug look on Cubs’ fans faces after a victory.  I live in Minnesota so I save my hatred for the Twins.  (Another topic for another post.)

The game featured Milwaukee’s best pitcher, Yovani Gallardo, against Ted Lilly, who always shuts down the Brewers hitters. I expected a pitchers’ duel and that’s what I got. Yo went seven innings and gave up just four hits and two walks and ZERO runs. Problem was Lilly was just as good. Heading into the eighth inning and the score tied at zero, Carlos Villanueva came in, in relief of Gallardo. He got two outs before giving up a single to Fukudome, who promptly stole second. (Teams have figured out that they can run on the Brewers, apparently.) After a walk, Villanueva gave up single to Tyler Colvin that scored Fukudome. Cubs 1, Brewers 0.

Lilly came out for the bottom of the eighth and I feared that this would be it. The Brewers would lose 1-0. Fortunately, Corey Hart is a bit more resilient than me. After having watched two first pitch fastballs go by in previous at bats, Hart decided to sit on one and he crushed it. Crushed it.  Brewers 1, Cubs 1.
John Axford came out to pitch the ninth but gave up back-to-back singles. Koyie Hill scored on a ground out to the shortstop. Cubs 2, Brewers 1. Cubs fans started to look a little smug as Carlos Marmol took the mound in the bottom of the ninth. But Marmol made some mistakes; the first being hitting Rickie Weeks. And even though Carlos Gomez popped up his bunt attempt , Weeks was able to steal second base. The Cubs then walked Prince. Braun (PLEASE GET OUT OF YOUR SLUMP, SBF) advanced the runners on a bat shattering ground out. And, that’s how it stood when Casey McGhee came to bat.  Two out, runners on first and second. Casey battled. Marmol threw more nasty sliders that Casey managed to lay off.  With a full count, McGhee hit a grounder up the middle that neither infielder could knock down. Prince scored from second. Brewers 3, Cubs 2

After the game, Casey was nearly speechless and practically in tears (or maybe it was just me, Seth says I have 95% more feelings than the average person). It was worth showing up for; worth staying up until midnight for (TiVo); worth every minute of it. And I’ll be back for more tomorrow. 

Brewers 3, Cubs 2
Game played 6-9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment