Saturday, June 5, 2010

Knowing when to quit

It all started innocently enough. Seth was watching an Ice Road Truckers marathon.  I was trying to take a nap because I was bored. I was trying to ignore my friend Jill’s text message that asked me to come and join her for a happy hour beer. In the end, I gave in. I can’t resist $2.50 Summits. It’s true. I love beer. Later I attended day one of my 15-year college reunion. I drank PBR out of a can and got a student worker to drive me around campus in a golf cart. Stay classy, Rachel. Sometimes you have to know when to quit. Last night, I did not.

Which leads me to Jeff Suppan. To be fair, by the time he got into the game, it was over. There was no way that the Brewers were going to touch Adam Wainwright. He was too good. But Suppan, who will earn $12.5 million this year, produced the following line: 1.1 innings pitched; 3 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 1 BB, 1 SO. I have never loved Jeff Suppan--certainly not the way that I love Ryan Braun. (Don’t worry; I’ll devote a lot of time to Ryan Braun. It’s a long season.) But I don’t hate him. He seems like a nice guy. He seems to do a lot of charity work. Should I hate him just because he sucks? I didn’t hate Bill Hall but it was time for him to go. One of my friends from college wanted to send former reliever Doug Henry to the glue factory. In fact, when we met Henry at spring training, she refused to have her photo taken with him because he was glue factory material. Sometimes you have to know when to quit. Jeff??

Lest you think I’m not a serious fan, I watched the game when I got home from reunion.

Cardinals 8, Brewers 0 (OUCH!)

No comments:

Post a Comment